In 1876 a private school for girls was opened in Queen's Road, Brentwood. Some forty years later this was taken over by Essex County Council and Brentwood County High School opened with fifty-four students.
In 1927 the school moved to its current site on Shenfield Common and extensions were added in 1937 to provide accommodation for 450 girls.
The school celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1963 and then in 1965 plans were laid to convert it from a girls' grammar school into a mixed comprehensive school which, after extensive building works, happened in September 1978.
Since then, continued growth and success have seen the student numbers increase to more than 1400 and the number of teaching staff to more than 90.
Further new specialist buildings have been added so that today we are able to offer some of the finest facilities, and certainly the finest teachers, in any school.
Although our school today is very different from the one created so long ago, we have preserved many of the traditions on which the school was built, while also developing new principles to meet the demands of the modern world as we progress through the 21st Century.